Monday 27 August 2018

Poll Tax on Chinese immigrants

Poll tax in New Zealand
In the 1880’s New Zealand pushed taxes of the Chinese immigrants because of how many
there were coming into New Zealand. But only one Chinese immigrant was allowed in per 10 tons of
cargo and they had to pay a tax of £10 and that's about $1700 today. In 1896 the law was changed
from 10 tones to 200 TONS and the tax was then £100 pounds (that's nearly $1900!).
In 1881 New Zealand followed Canada and the Australian colonies in forcing entry taxes on Chinese
immigrants. The minister of customs waived the poll tax from 1934, but it was not repealed until 1944
after other countries had abandoned it. In 2002 the New Zealand government officially apologised to the
Chinese community for the injustice of the tax.
What do you would happen if we introduced the tax again?
I think that the Chinese would get angry and that we would soon have to drop the idea after too many
Chinese people rebelled. At least that's what I think

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I am Bridget and am wanting to make a few online friends. your blog is like how you say things about yourself and commenting helps attract people to your blog. so leave a good comment and I might come to your blog!

1. Introduce yourself, tell me something interesting about you
2. Give me some feedback and be specific!
3. Tell me a joke and make a connection, it's your comment so own it.
4. Give your blog address so I can come!

Thanks
Bridget