Tuesday 14 November 2017

Writing to Persuade

A referee is only human they can't see everything that goes on in a game, but sometimes the angles and timing of the referee interfere with their decision making, which can cause a disruption in the crowd. It can also lead to harsh penalties and sometimes DEATH! It’s hard being a ref so I have decided to take the disagreeing side and show you that the refs should get a little more respect.

Hi I’m Bridget and I think refs are not always right, for instance in one of the world soccer championships they shook the world, this was because of the angle of the ref, he could not see that the ball had bounced over the line and so called it a no goal.
Also in a basketball game, one of the ladies had a shot at the basket and fell over with the momentum she had. But milliseconds before she fell over, a lady from the other team went by and it looked like she had pushed her over, this led to a red card from the ref and the lady that had “pushed her”  was off for most of the game for nothing!

I’ll say that refs make a couple of faulty decisions, last season in rep hockey the ball was shot at goal, but the goalie missed it, therefore making a teammate run after it! They got there just in time to save the ball, it was an inch from being over the line but yet the ref called it a goal! This led to our team losing and we only got third in the championships.

Most people rely on refs in games but you can take part in keeping them on track. Just by sticking your hand up if there needs a whistle can help a lot. They see some things and by sticking your hand up means they pay their attention to you. If they saw what happened they may not know if they were meant to blow the whistle, just by sticking your hand up reassures them of what their job is. I have done it in club hockey and they listen, well, OK they look.

Have you ever searched world's best ref decision? Of course, you haven't you probably searched for world's worst ref decision. If you have searched up worlds best ref decision you would find it mostly comes up with the worst decisions, this is because that no one cares about the good ones! I think that refs get a lot of pressure when reffing, it means that only the best refs get to ref the world championships, the bigger the games get the higher the stakes are of making a faulty call.

So, all in all, I believe that reffing can be hard and they need more respect! I still don’t want to be a ref but I am willing to still play sports, after all, it’s just a game.... right?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bridget,

    I agree, referees are only human. Humans by nature, make errors. I hope that those that read your writing will be inspired to give their referees a better deal and respect just how difficult the job is.

    Thanks,

    Mr McAulay

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I am Bridget and am wanting to make a few online friends. your blog is like how you say things about yourself and commenting helps attract people to your blog. so leave a good comment and I might come to your blog!

1. Introduce yourself, tell me something interesting about you
2. Give me some feedback and be specific!
3. Tell me a joke and make a connection, it's your comment so own it.
4. Give your blog address so I can come!

Thanks
Bridget